Ben's Crayfish Tail Salad
- 1 Cocktail
- 8 Coles Lobster / Crayfish Tails
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt flakes
- Freshly ground Black pepper
- 2 Hass avocados, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 mangoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 young baby cos lettuce leaves, ends trimmed
- 200g rocket leaves
- 4 limes cheeks, to serve
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 Cup lime juice
- 1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat a barbecue or chargrill pan to medium-high heat. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. You can skip this step by buying your bugs already peeled, ask your fish monger. When the water is boiling add the bugs one at a time and blanch for 45-60 seconds. Remove from the pot and stop cooking in a ice bath. This will help to remove the tail from the shell.
- To remove the tail from the shell, remove bugs from ice water and holding the the head in one hand and the tail in the other pull and twist until the meat releases from inside. Use a pair of kitchen scissors to cut either side underneath the tail, remove the clear skin and gently remove the flesh from the tail. Discard the shell and set meat aside.
- Use a metal BBQ skewer and insert into the length of the tail, this will stop the tail from curling when grilled. Brush skewered tails with oil and season with sea salt flakes and ground black pepper. Grill, turning once, for 6-8 minutes until just cooked through and golden char marks on the outside.
- At the same time as the bug tails, brush quartered mangoes with oil and season with sea salt flakes and ground black pepper. Grill, turning once, for 4-6 minutes until lightly caramelised and char marks. Set aside in a warm place with bug tails.
- To make the dressing, use a mortar and pestle, add garlic and pound with a pinch of salt until a paste. Use the pestle to continue stirring add lemon juice and mustard, then slowly add oil, until lightly emulsified. Transfer to a large bowl taste and season with pepper, if necessary.
- Cut the grilled bug tails in half lengthways, then toss in a large bowl with the dressing. Add the lettuce, grilled mango and toss to combine. Add the cubed avocado and rocket leaves and combine gently with your hands.
- Divide among 4 bowls and serve with a cheek of lime.
Our friends at Wine Selectors recommend pairing this dish with a Chardonnay.